Friday, June 4, 2010

What is that???




I just want to document, what happened today. It turned into a novel....sorry! :) so here is the summary so you don't need to read it all!

  • Ohh Has a rash
  • Thought it was measles, but its not
  • Its another, virus, not too worry.
  • Not contagious now that the rash has appeared.
  • Go back next week to see pediatrician if still present
  • Symptoms - Tired this week (sleeping more then usual), and rash today.


This morning started like all others. Woke up to a playing baby. Changed her diaper, brought her downstairs and fed her breakfast and a bottle. She was rather fussy, not wanting to eat (even less then normal...I'll have to blog about her poor eating habits another time), but I didn't think much of it.
I decided on short notice to go swimming with her, but upon getting her dressed noticed something alarming.
She had a rash. A rash behind one of her ears. Strange I thought, where is this coming from? Then I noticed it appearing behind her other ear. Now I was getting worried. I brought her downstairs for closer observation with my husband. Then I noticed that there were red spots appearing on her chest and belly, then on her back too. I admit, I was scared. I thought she was having some type of allergic reaction, and was watching closely for any swelling, or difficulty breathing. Thankfully that never happened.
I called my mom (I always do when something is wrong!) and she thought maybe a heat rash. She mentioned measles, but thought more likely heat trash. So I gave her a bath, and thought that the rash stopped spreading further.

For a couple hours hubby, my mom and me tried to figure out what it was. I was sure it wasn't measles, and thought it must be hives or something. But, we couldn't figure out what it would have been. I started googling, while she took a nap, and couldn't find what exactly it was. But was starting to think measles because of the pattern. After much humming and hawwing (hmm is that a word? lol) I called the Dr. and was sent to the pediatrition. I had to be there within 1/2 hour!!! I wasn't sure if it was because it was an emergency, or because of booking issues. Turns out it was the latter. But I am sure you can imagine the chaos as we tried to get her dressed, and gather up some supplies to be out the door in less then 10 minutes, all the while while we discuss what the heck was wrong with her.

We made it there with 1 minute to spare.

He examined her. (she weighed 17.5 pounds which is on the small side, and he mentioned wanting to recheck her weight later on)
First thing he said was, well, it looks like measles. YIKES!!! but its not. WHEW!!!
If it was measles she would be sick, have red eyes, have a fever etc etc.
So it is likely another virus ( which one, he said, didn't matter) and would go away on its own.

The only symptom she's had, has been being unusually tired this week. She has been sleeping her normal 12 hour nights, then taking a three hour nap, and then 2 more hours. I had been worried earlier in the week, but had called the Dr, and was told to keep an eye on her, and if she got worse or I became more worried to call. I still don't know if the 2 are related for sure, but I am highly suspicious. If she's been fighting a virus, then it makes sense that she's been tired.


If she still has it next week, I am too go back in. Fingers crossed that it will be gone. Especially since she's to go to daycare again on Wed, and I'm going to a group baby birthday party with 4 other babies.

So tonight the rash looked worse, but we gave her another bath, and she's sound asleep now. So we will see what tomorrow brings.

Ahh, what a day!
But oh so glad its not Measles!!!
I tried to take pictures, but they didn't turn out so well, but I'll still post a couple.


No comments:

Post a Comment