I'm starting to give the idea of Daycare search a bit more thought lately.
I am already on the wait list for a few Daycare centers. Only one of them however will take an infant as young as 1 year old. Most of the day cares won't take them until they are 16 or 18 months old. Most moms go back to work at 1 year so I don't quit get this logistic. But it is what it is.
I liked the one that she could go to at one year, but the problem is we won't know if she will get in until a month before. Talk about stress if she doesn't get in! The other thing is its really expensive. About $1300 per month!! Geez, it's almost not worth going back to work! I think I would be better off having a weekend job, but that won't work, cause I won't get a high enough paying job for the weekends, plus I don't want to loose my seniority and pay from my current job. So we're just gonna have to buckle down and start really saving pennies!
So as a back up, I probably should at least think of home daycares...but in my mind there are too many cons if I were too have the choice. However I still have too give it some more thought and research.
Pros of home daycare
Less expensive
More like home environment
Maybe more personal attention
Cons
If Not licensed - not really sure what you are getting (therefore will only look at Licensed daycare)
Still not sure how "regulated" licensed daycare is
If they have their own children, they will likely get more attention, my child
If caregiver gets sick, or wants vacation will we need to find alternative care?
I am sure there are more pros and cons....but that is what I can come up with for now.
Have any of you been through the daycare process....what are your thoughts?
Monday, March 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

The good news is it will get cheaper when she turns 18 months. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's a sucky process, but you're not alone.
D
I have used both home and structured daycare. I think both have their pro's and con's. I used home daycare until the boys were 3 then switched them to a preschool, this helped them get the cuddle time and attention they needed as infants and then preschool gave them the exposure to schedule and structure before going to school.
ReplyDeleteIf you are looking into home daycares, I suggest asking other mothers in your area for referals vs. responding to ad's or going in blind.. There are so many excellent home care providers out there.