So my precious little girl is a spitter upper. She has been from the time she was born.
In the beginning I was so worried, even though my Dr. told me it was normal. I, along with the help of others, didn't think he could possibly be right. So I ended up switching formulas in search of a magic cure, but of course nothing really helped. I was told by many people that she had reflux, and needed to be on medication. I was even told my one person that she needed to have a barium series and x-rays!
Thankfully, my googling, and visits to the Dr's paid off, and reassured me that this was totally normal for her, and she would be just fine. It's just a pain for mommy and daddy.
Now, granted, some spitter uppers do have serious reflux problems (GERD - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease), but I know, that because she is a happy and healthy baby who could care less each and every time she pukes, that this isn't her problem.
Here are some experpts from The Mayo Clinic to help explain.
Normally, a valve (lower esophageal sphincter) between the esophagus and the stomach keeps stomach contents where they belong. Until this valve has time to mature, spitting up may be an issue — especially if your baby eats too much or too quickly.
Minimal spitting up doesn't hurt. It isn't likely to cause coughing, choking or discomfort — even during sleep. Chances are your baby won't even notice the fluid dripping out of his or her mouth.
Spitting up tends to peak at age 4 months, and most babies stop spitting up by age 12 months.
Here are some suggestions that can be used to help reduce spitting up. Again from the mayoclinic, but the suggestions are pretty standard from everywhere I looked. I have tried almost all of them, and in the beginning they may have worked a little, but I've given up on most now, cause it didn't really seem to make a real noticable difference.
1. Keep it calm. Make each feeding peaceful and relaxed. Feed your baby before he or she becomes frantic.
2. Sit up. Feed your baby in an upright position. Follow each feeding with 15 to 30 minutes in a sitting position. Hold your baby in your arms, or try a front pack, backpack or infant seat. Avoid active play and infant swings while the food is settling.
3.Try smaller, more frequent feedings. Feed your baby an ounce (about 30 milliliters) less than usual or limit nursing sessions to just one breast.
4.Take time to burp. Frequent burps during each feeding — when your switch breasts or after every 2 to 3 ounces (about 60 to 90 milliliters) — can keep air from building up in your baby's stomach. Also burp your baby at the end of each feeding. Sit your baby upright, supporting his or her head with one hand while patting his or her back with your other hand.
5. Check the nipple. If you're using a bottle, make sure the hole in the nipple is the right size. If it's too large, the milk will flow too fast. If it's too small, your baby may get frustrated and gulp air. A nipple that's the right size will allow a few drops of milk to fall out when you hold the bottle upside down.
6. Thicken the formula or breast milk. If your baby's doctor approves, add a small amount of rice cereal to your baby's formula or expressed breast milk. You may need to enlarge the hole in the nipple to make sure your baby can drink the thickened liquid. **I do not agree with this one! Definetly check with Dr. first. IT can be a choke Hazard**
7. Raise the head of the crib. To reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome, it's important to place your baby to sleep on his or her back. This position can aggravate reflux, however. It may help to slightly elevate the head of your baby's crib. Never prop your baby with pillows. **we seriously considered trying this because we we were afraid of her chocking on the spit up, but in the ended decided it was safer to not play around with the crib**
Here is also a link to the Doctors show, that explains it all really well too in a video clip from their show!
So in the meantime while we wait for her GI track to really mature, my DH and I can do nothing but laugh about it.
I always have a recieving blanket, or as we call it, our "puke blanket". Her toys, her blankets, our furniture, our clothes are always covered in spitup. I am so immune to the smell now, but I wish I could have a nice smelling baby. It's just not possible. As soon she she's bathed (or more often while she's having a bath) and smelling on clean and fresh, she pukes again. Hence the OHHHH that we now call her!
I think I need to get a picture of her with spitup on her face...maybe not so cute, but I am hoping that soon it will stop, and will be a distant memory! :)
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment