Sunday, November 22, 2009

Toe hair tourniquet

Who knew there was such a thing! Well I sure didn't until tonight.

I had just finished cutting Ohh's finger nails, and was having a look at her toes. Not something I do every day, but for some reason I was today. Mothers instinct maybe?

I noticed that her middle toe of her right foot was bright bright purple, and all the others were pink. Odd, cause she does normally have this purple appendage issue, but this time it was just one.
Well upon closer inspection there was a hair wrapped around it! I freaked a little, thinking about animals I have seen like this, and how they got gangrene and lost their tails.
So got my husband to quickly hold her, and worked at getting it off. Not so easy on a screaming, wiggling baby. I had to just ignore that, and finally got it off. Then I noticed that the second toe also had a hair around it, but not as tight.

Whew! Her toes are nice and pink now, but I can still see a line on the middle toe where it was. OUCH! I wonder how long it was like that?

Then I thought I would google it to see if this had happened to anyone else. And to my great surprise it's actually a syndrome.

Google the pictures...it can be pretty bad!

Apparently its common around this age, because of mothers losing their hair around this time. Which is so true for me, I find my hair everywhere, and it doesn't help that she pulls it out all the time.

I wonder how long this was like this? I cringe to think what would have happened if I hadn't found it. She didn't seem bothered by it until I found it. But thinking back now, she has been kinda fussy for a couple days. I wonder if that could be the reason? My husband gave her the last couple of baths, so I'm not sure how closely he examined her feet. It wouldn't have been on my mind, that is for sure!

So to all you moms...please check your babies toes, fingers, and yes I even read Penis's (ouch!) of your babies often. Especially if they are being fussy! I know I will from now on!

3 comments:

  1. I never would have even thought about that.
    I know that Maxwell often pulls on my hair and gets it twirled around his fingers. I will be looking more closely from now on.

    Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ewww I can't believe that happened! something to keep on eye on for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow thats crazy! I will be looking now for sure!

    ReplyDelete