Friday, November 20, 2009

opinions

I love hearing stories from other moms, about how they have handled different situations. I also love to know their opinions about specific issues I am currently dealing with.

Now that I feel a bit more confident in my mommy abilities, I so get that there are a million different ways to do things, and as a mom you will hear them all. None of them are usually "wrong", in fact most of them are the best thing for that persons particular situation, or that persons baby. But that doesn't mean you have to do the same thing.

So with the information I hear, I try and make the best informed decision for me and little OHHH. I'll try it out, and see if it works for us, if not I'll move onto the next. For example...at a Halloween party, I learned from another mom a trick for getting her baby to sleep longer. (Basically feed as much as they want in the evening hours). Well I tried it, and wouldn't you know, I now have a baby that sleeps 12 hours a night!!! Thankyou so much Steph! Now in this conversation, it was explained to me, that is is what they do, and it works for them, not that it was the only way to do things. That's the kind of advice I love. They aren't telling me I HAVE to do something. That is the kind I hate.

Other times opinions can just make me mad. I know they mean well, but it sometimes comes across as very negative, and like they are putting me down. Oh well, I just have to learn to nod my head and walk away. I won't be able to change their minds, and they will always think they know more then me.

2 comments:

  1. Ah the wows of advice...that you didn't ask for. ;) Everybody mom has advice for other moms and then there are the people who have no children but think they know best.

    Feeding is such a touchy topic. If I knew 7 years ago what I know now about food allergies that run in my husband's family, I would have started foods slower. Do what feels right to you. If there are food allergies in your families then go slow. Just know that food allergies don't always cause a rash or swelling on the outside. They can effect mood too. I wish you all the best of luck and NO FOOD ALLERGIES. ;) At the end of the day we all have to pick our own paths. Know that there is support out there for which ever path you end up on. That is the great thing about a community of Moms, we come in every shape, size and situation.

    Good luck,
    Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started my oldest son on solids early and nothing terrible happened. He has no allergies and his digestion is a-ok.
    I think back and years ago when foods were introduced at a younger age there seemed to be much less allergies in children.
    Perhaps there is no connection but it is something that I often wonder about.
    This time around I am going to attempt to wait until Maxwell is 6 months old simply because I was told that my cycle will likely start again once he eats more and nurses less and I am still enjoying not having a visit from Aunt Flo lol
    I think that you can only do what works for you and YOUR baby.

    ReplyDelete